Saw it. Dug it. Here’s what I thought. No spoilers. The Flash premieres 10/8 on the CW at 8 ET/7 CT.
1. Grant Gustin is a cutie. My wife says he’s dreamy. You can choose between the two.
2. I dig the costume.
3. There’s a LOT for a Flash fan to love. Great Easter eggs, a preponderance of action and a smart balance of light and angst.
4. I’m not sure if they’re going to ask us to get on Team Iris or Team Caitlin. Both are really cute but I think Iris is gonna get on my nerves. That said, comics fans know there’s a future planned for Caitlin …
5. The effects are good. Not Blow Your Mind good but good.
6. The pilot covers a lot of ground (speed joke!). I won’t give it all away but we get to see or get references to at least four villains — and probably more that I missed.
7. But I won’t be satisfied until we get a couple that dress like this.
8. You will hear people complain that he’s a bit too much like Peter Parker with superspeed. Ignore these people.
9. Without giving too much away, there’s a concept introduced late in the episode that lifts directly from the premise of Smallville’s first season and I think that’s a bit of a cheat.
10. Speaking of Superman, my wife thinks the Flash is faster than Superman because the Flash specializes. I disagree. Superman is better at everything. Except he’s not as smart as Batman, so Batman wins. Batman always wins. This has nothing to do with the show. I’m just saying.
11. Jesse L. Martin is fine. Not much to work with in the role of Barry’s mentor. But we also get John Wesley Shipp!
12. It was better than the first episodes of Gotham and Arrow, so it already has a big head start. Heh, another speed joke.
13. The last scene will make your head explode. Make sure you freeze-frame it for the details. Oh, and after watching the episode, I’m pretty sure I’m now gonna want one of these:
October 6, 2014
Grant seems very good as a Ray Palmer-esque Barry Allen. I’m prejudiced toward the Silver Age Flash I met in the early ’60’s. I can’t help but see the Flash as being a bit older,hunkier,blonder and more of a workaholic type that could get dissed for being pokey. Grant has that realistic and likeable feel but I remember Barry as being more the Tab Hunter type. He’d be the athlete who was never a jock,the class brain who was never quite the uncool nerd,the good looking,nice guy who was never quite the ladies’ man. He’d wear crew cuts and bow ties whether they were fashionable or not because he likes them and they’re already in his wardrobe. Our new Flash may grow into some of that but will be interesting and engaging for certain.