One of the books I’ve been most looking forward to this year is The Fox, which debuts Wednesday from Archie’s Red Circle Comics imprint. It’s written and drawn by Dean Haspiel, with dialogue by Mark Waid. Both gents stop by to list their reasons you should pick up the book – and what their influences were — Dan:
Dean Haspiel’s Five Reasons to Pick Up The Fox #1
1. Behold the pitch-perfect words of Mark Waid! Read: Daredevil, Indestructible Hulk, Thrillbent.com, etc.!
2. Experience a sentient horror house in action!
3. See a sinister seductress try to woo the Fox into sparking a social networking apocalypse!
4. Witness doppelgangers of Fat O.J. Simpson and Patton Oswalt pummel Paul Patton Jr.!
5. Watch how a superhero with no super powers becomes a freak magnet!
Dean’s Five “Freak Magnet” Influences:
1. Alex Toth’s version of The Fox
2. C.C. Beck’s Shazam! aka Captain Marvel
3. Apocalypse Now
4. The Island of Lost Souls
5. The Red Hook
Mark Waid’s Five Reasons to Pick Up The Fox #1:
1. Cool costume. Sleek, stylized, effective.
2. Realistic relationships and goals. Paul Patton, Jr. knows what he wants out of life, and it’s not unreasonable. His relationship with his wife and family is a prime motivator for him, and it’s very authentic.
3. The villainess. Her eyes say “yes, yes,” but her face has no nose.
4. The deepening mystery: Who is the Queen of Diamonds and what other Red Circle heroes has she already recruited to her side?
5. Bob Phantom.
Mark’s Five “Freak Magnet” Influences:
1. Steve Gerber’s Marvel writing
2. James Garner
4. DeMatteis/Giffen Justice League
5. David Lynch
Full disclosure: Both Dean and Mark have been contributing to this site. That means nothing. I love this kind of comic no matter what. Hence, the love.